onsdag, december 07, 2011

Performance of TP-LINK 3420, Huawei E398 and OpenWRT

Don't consider this an alternative to an unbiased lab test of this equipment. I simply set the stuff up as quickly as possible without any consideration of LTE coverage or other parameters. And these are my results. All measures were made from my laptop.

Connected to router by WiFi (WPA2-Personal, AES)

Connected to router by CAT-5 cable

Modem attached directly to computer

My conclusion is that the router performs really well. Much better than expected actually, I thought the CPU would set the limit but so far I don't see this limit at all, only a small decline in performance if connecting through WiFi which is expected because of interference and extra overhead in data encryption. If I upgraded my mobile plan to "Extra Large" with a theoretical limit of 80Mbit/s this might show though.

7 kommentarer:

Marcus sa...

Thanks for the numbers. 20+ Mbps is not too bad. Router now ordered from CDON. I'll get back with my numbers.

Marcus sa...

I got 30Mbps. Ok for now. Will try to tweak it later.
Thanks for the guide!

Tony sa...

Du har alltså fått TP-link 3420 att funka med Huawei E398? Hade du någon speciell bin-fil?

Jag funderar nämligen på att köpa mobilt bredband där man får med just E398..

Unknown sa...

Ja, till slut :)

Nej inte någon "speciell" bin fil, den som OpenWRT tillhandahåller för den här routern. Du kan läsa hur jag gjorde i mitt tidigare inlägg (http://oleniner.blogspot.com/2011/11/tp-link-3420-openwrt-huawei-e398-3g.html)

Marcus sa...

Jag kör också så enligt dessa instruktioner.
Jag har dock lite problem att den tappar kontakten med Internet med några dagars mellanrum.

Funderar på att lägga ett cronjob som gör reboot när den inte kan pinga ut men det borde finnas en snyggare lösning.

Unknown sa...

Jag kör ett cronjobb och det är väl inte den snyggaste lösningen, vore betydligt snyggare om interface:t klarade av att hantera "auto" flaggan. Men det fungerar åtminstone. Min förhoppning är att det kommer att komma i en senare version.

Marcus sa...

Kan man få be att du dokumenterar detta cronjob? tack